The fuel injection took the form of an SPI manifold and an obsolete self repaired Formula Ford Ecu I got from work. It took a while to wire it all up and convert the petrol tank to run an electric pump. Then there was the fitting of crank and camshaft sensors to do, these were all home made efforts.
The system worked and I managed to make it run but was dissapointed with performance once again. This time however the ecu fuel injection showed a problem with the fueling of a couple of cylinders with two cylinders running at 8%+ CO and two running at <0.3% CO (I have a twin exit exhaust with two cylinders on each). Once again the engine came out and the valve lift was very carefully measured with a dial gauge. I was horrified to find that the Mini Sport Camshaft lobes were wildly different between cylinders with a difference of almost 2mm lift on one lobe!! (Cam timing was accurately checked and found to be correct).
I then splashed out on a kent 276 camshaft and chucked the mini sport one, engine was rebuilt and re-fitted and ecu remapped and ... WOW!! ... what a transformation !!, the engine must have doubled in power output and now revs cleanly to the redline with much better driveability.
Having barely started the running in/mapping process the Mini was taken to Guernsey for a holiday and managed to last the week along with the trek to Weymouth and back (360 miles) without incident.
The Ecu still needs more mapping doing to it but has taken a back seat whilst the Vtec Mini project has got going along with the finishing off of the trailer project.